I was able to do a lot of traveling in 2008, from short trips to San Diego and Portland, to longer trips to Vermont and abroad. I made sure the airlines were still working this year. I don't recall all my flights and destinations, but I'm certain I flew on United, Alaska, Horizon, Southwest, Lufthansa, Delta, Comair, Atlantic Southeast. I spent a week this summer in Dubai, followed by two weeks in Germany, Austria, and Italy. I was in Europe for most of the Euro Cup soccer tournament, which was incredible to be able to watch with the local fans. This trip brought me to entirely new places all throughout (the only place I had been to before was the Heathrow Airport, where I had a four-hour layover on my return home). It was a fascinating trip, and very relaxing following a busy first half of the year.
My maternal grandparents both passed away during the Spring following a steady decline over the past year or two. It was not entirely unexpected, but sad nonetheless. They had lived a very productive 89 and 92 years, accomplishing a great deal in their lives. Over the years they taught me about the joys of traveling, the importance of education, and the value of good friends and family. They will be missed.
The year ended on a (mostly) high note, watching the extraordinary and historic 2008 Presidential Election. Watching the energy, enthusiasm, and commitment of my friends gives me renewed hope in the future direction of this country. While some of the local and state propositions in California did not turn out the way I had hoped, it is great to see people be excited about politics again, something that has been missing over the past years.
I'm still working at the same department, which I am enjoying when I'm not too overwhelmed to enjoy it. My students are finding the job market more difficult, but it's been fascinating to watch them turn their unique experiences and interests into alternative channels for finding employment after graduation. I both attended and presented at conferences this year. I created an intern program in my office, and supervised a graduate intern as they learned about the field of advising. I taught a class in the fall semester, renewing my interest in teaching and my desire to get back in front of the classroom.
All in all, 2008 has been a busy year. Friends have gotten married, had children, purchased homes, and celebrated so many important things this year, and I've been delighted to watch their joy. I'm ready for 2009 to begin now though. Some resolutions have already been made, others will be decided on in the coming weeks, but here's hoping that 2009 is a great year for us all!
1 comment:
Happy New Year to you too Jenny! Thanks again for coming to our holiday party last month and for the sweet housewarming card! Here's to a fab 2009! Let's have lunch soon before classes start again k? Hugs!
Post a Comment