(note: there will be a "log in" button, but you should be able to just hit the "view slideshow" option in order to see the photos without logging in)
Some comments....
Frankfurt

I arrived in Frankfurt and stayed for two nights so that I could have a couple days to adjust to the time change before continuing on to Dubai. Most everyone I talked to had flown through Frankfurt, but had never actually stayed and explored. There are a lot of old buildings here; much of the city hall area had been destroyed in 1943 and 1944 by the bombings, but had been rebuilt almost identical to the previous days. Additionally, there are a lot of new skyscrapers, recognizing Frankfurt's role as the financial center of the European Union.
Dubai
I spent about a week in Dubai, which was really the "rest and relaxation" part of my trip. Due to that, and the sandstorm that arrived a few days before I did that left minimal visibility while I was there, there aren't a lot of pictures from Dubai. Dubai is a fascinating mix of traditional Emerati culture mixed with the Western world. Dubai is always building something, and any time I looked outside I could see at least a dozen construction cranes (and again, that's with limited visibility!), as they continually build the biggest, largest, bestest, newest, whatever-est that's out there. Everything is air conditioned, and you never enter the heat except to cross into another air conditioned building/taxi/etc. There's lots of shopping there, and it has become a big tourist destination (despite it being 115+ degrees while I was there, which was cool compared to what it will be in late June and all of July).
No comments:
Post a Comment