Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The polizia in roma....

Just a quick story tonight, then I have to give up the computer to someone else....(yay for free internet at the hostel!)

Today I went to the Piazza della Repubblica. In the middle of the piazza, there's a fountain:


This is the Fontana delle Naiadi, and as you can see (from someone else's photo), there is a place to sit along the side of this. It's a fountain, in the middle of the traffic circle, so once you are there, you tend to stay for a while, because crossing streets in Rome is an entire adventure of it's own.

Anyways, so I got to the fountain, walked around some, and then decided to have a seat and enjoy the sunshine. My foot was hurting me (long story), so I took of my sandal and put my foot up. Suddenly, eight vans of the Roma Polizia show up. Vans. Full. At least fifty officers all together. Then another 40 or 50 officers of the Carab Inieri show up. They've circled the Piazza. At this point I decided that it was probably unrelated to my sandal (though I did put it back on, just in case I had to run away from the cops, who were all in their full gear). Then the tv stations started showing up, and I figured something was going on...

So tonight when you watch the news, check out the story on the President coming to Rome (I think he's stalking me now). You'll see the protesters. You may even see the fountain. But you won't see my sandal - I put that back on before the police thought I might be involved....

1 comment:

PC said...

Dude, you are so lucky, I miss Italy so much. Make sure you go check out the Piazza Navona at night. Also, try to see if you can make it to the Borghese Gallery. It is a great museum in what is essentially the Central Park of Rome. Have fun and eat a lot of gelato :) .

Patrick