Saturday, June 28, 2008

More photos....

Here's the album for Munich
(As with the last one, there will be a "log in" button, but you should be able to just hit the "view slideshow" option in order to see the photos without logging in)


I had a great time in Munich. I only had one day there, but I came armed with a good list of places to see (thanks to Dan, one of my incoming transfer students!). I arrive by train from Frankfurt (fresh off my plane flight from Dubai), and was able to leave my bags in a locker at the station (thank goodness for that -- I didn't have to carry much around all day!!).

It's impossible to see all of Munich in one day, so I focused on a few places of particular interest....I arrived shortly before lunchtime, and grabbed lunch from a street vendor and sat out by a fountain next to the Frauenkirche (you'll see pictures of the fountain towards the beginning of the slideshow). From there I wandered around the Marienplatz, and jumped on the U-Bahn to the Olympiazentrum, which is the Olympic Park from the 1972 Olympics. They've converted much of it into a park which was popular for walking, roller-blading, biking, running, etc.

From there, I went back on the U-Bahn and went back towards where I came from, and do some more wandering around. I ended up hanging around the English Garden for a couple hours, drinking, writing, and listening to the violin player entertaining us all with classical music. The walk from there back down to Marienplatz was filled with fascinating buildings and monuments, and I eventually ended up at the fountain at Karlsplatz around 6pm. At this point, I had heard from a number of people some suggestions of places to go to watch the soccer game at 6:45, so I sat around the fountain some more, enjoying the sunshine and the nice breeze, until it was time to watch the game. I cannot even begin to describe the craziness of watching the EuroCup in Europe. The German fans are passionate about their soccer, and the game I watched was Spain vs. Russia, and they were still excited about it.

After the game, I went back to the train station to catch the overnight train to Rome....more on that once I get those photos online....

No comments: