I arrived in Florence around lunchtime, just as the rain did, so I darted the raindrops while trying to find my hostel. Iàm wearing my snazy new sandals today, which meant I got to feel the rain between my toes, which was very cool and relaxing. Once I dropped off my stuff, I set out to go find a) lunch, and b) the Duomo.
So, despite what people may think, I am very good with directions. Maps, whatever language they are in, I can find my way through any town if need be. Apparently that doesnàt translate immediately after a train ride, because I went the wrong direction. Not that it is a problem really, because Florence is a great walking town and really, who doesn't love a walk in the rain, but it meant my feet were exhausted by the time I realized how off track I was. I finally found the Duomo (and a number of other places along the way), and decided, hey, let's go climb to the top! Now, I mentioned that my feet were already tired, right? Oh, and my foot problem of the past few weeks is still a problem? No worries, it's only about 600 stairs each way....oh, and the asthma inhaler? Yup, left it in my bag at the hostel...
Once I finally reached the top (I didn't want to check and see how long it took me), it was a gorgeous view. The rain had cleared, and you could see all out over the entire city. Just amazing. I sat and stared out for a while. Got lots of pictures. Looked at all the people in the piazza below. Yup, I so did not want to do that climb back down again.... ;) (By the way, the climb back down is MUCH better than the climb up) And at the bottom, I had the world's greatest gelato. I'm not entirely sure if it was THAT good, or if I just needed it that badly, but boy was it good.
I've returned to the hostel now (more free internet! yay!!) to write some postcards and sit in the sunshine until the soccer game starts in about an hour. It's Italy in the EuroCup 2008, and all the other games I've watched this week have been great, but this is the first Italy game to watch, so I'm looking forward to having some beer and soccer for the local sports fanatics....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment