Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I disappeared for a little while.....

I've been away from the computer for the past week and a half or so...here, in a nutshell, is what I've had on my mind....

* Sunburns: Living with the pain, dealing with the peeling.
* Alzheimer's vs. Dementia: What's the difference?
* Cellulitis: What is it, and what can be done
* ICU: It's not a fun place
* Kaiser: Land of the HIPAA violation
* Strep Throat: How contagious is it?
* Colon Cancer: how fast does it spread?
* Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, what the heck is that -oscopy?
* 80-unit cap: What the #$%#$%@
* Malaria: Why you should get your shots and pills before you go.
* AC Transit: The least helpful bus system during the first week of a semester
* Soccer cleats: They hurt when placed with force on top of your toe.

I'm sure there's more there somewhere, but who knows....I can't remember much more than all of this!! Fortunately things are looking up, the week is coming to an end, and I get a three day weekend with a Cal Football game to go to. Wahoo!!!!

2 comments:

Sonja said...

My wild guesses. Completely possible that these are all inaccurate!

Alzheimer/Dementia:
I believe Alzhiemer's is typcially onset later in life and is a loss of memory. Isn't dementia more of an overall craziness? How curable is dementia?

-oscopy:
I believe it has to do with sticking the little camera things in places they really shouldn't be. Perhaps surgeries done on a small scale (using cameras instead of completely opening up the body)?

:)

Jenny said...

Re. the Alzheimer/Dementia question, here's what I found....

"Dementia" simply means the symptom of a deterioration of intellectual abilities resulting from an unspecified disease or disorder of the brain.

Alzheimer's Disease is one disease/disorder that causes dementia. Many other illnesses or "syndromes" can also cause dementia. Parkinson's Disease can cause dementia. A stroke can cause dementia. Even dehydration can cause dementia.

Many of the things that can cause dementia are treatable, even potentially curable.