Saturday, August 04, 2007

Vacation Day 6: Vancouver to Victoria

So first of all, I have the photos I've taken so far uploaded to my computer, and I'll try posting some of them tonight....stay tuned for more.....

Late last night Sarah and I went to the bus station to pick up my friend Jen, and today Jen and I headed off on the next part of my trip, which was to take the ferry to Victoria BC. The three of us had breakfast this morning at a neat little place near Sarah's house, and then Jen and I hit to road to go down to the ferry station.

The drive to the ferry station wasn't too horrendous. We finally got there at 11am (a bit early for our 1pm ferry, but it put us third in line of all the cars waiting to get on. That was cool.) We parked the car, wandered around inside, and sat around outside in the sunshine reading and waiting. I'm definately getting a lot of time in the sunshine on this trip - that's very exciting for me. :)


This is me standing up on the seawall at Tsawassan waiting for the ferry to arrive.

The ferry ride was about 90 minutes total, and once we got off the ferry it was another 30km drive to Vancouver. I'm slowly getting used to driving in another language - km/h and km and m to exits are challenging as I can never remember how many miles are in a kilometer and all that jazz, but I'm getting used to it. Well, maybe not, but at least I'm sticking to the speed of traffic so I don't get pulled over. I'd never hear the end of it if the Royal Canadian Mounted Police pulled me over for speeding....

Once we got all checked in to our hotel and settled a bit, we headed downtown to wander around some. One of the great things on this trip is the fact that sunset is so late -- it's completely normal to be out and about until 10 or 11, because it doesn't get dark until 10, so it feels like there is so much left in the day. This is also why I am incredibly tired.... ;)

We walked down along the waterfront, taking in such sights as the Fairmont Empress Hotel, the Parliment Building, the Royal BC Museum, and so on. For dinner we found a cute little sushi place called Azuma Sushi on Yates Street. Believe it or not, this was the first sushi I've eaten since the Friday before I left town. Amazing, I know. It was soooooo good. Something about being in the sun all day really makes me crave a good plate of sashimi and miso soup. Yummmmmm.....

We're now back at the hotel, taking a break and relaxing before our long day tomorrow. We'll wander around Victoria some more tomorrow, and then take the afternoon ferry back to the States, and drive back to Portland. I'll try to update again tomorrow night!

No comments: